What is data management?
Data management is the collection, storage, protection, sharing, and usage of data. The types of data collected and used by various organizations are personal, public, and sensitive data. Data management is important because it ensures the security of data and privacy.
Data Management- What You Need To Know and Why Is It Important?
Why data management is important?
Data can rule the world, provided that it is clear, clean, and authentic. Every day, around 2 times ten to the eighteenth data (that's 2.5 quintillions) is generated worldwide. Simply put, this sheer volume of data would be useless without extracting useful information from it.
In this data-driven world, an onrushing tsunami of data has made it a challenge to process data using traditional approaches. Companies have more data than ever at their disposal. But converting data into meaningful insights and those insights into action is easier said than done. By embracing the power of technology and AI, a cohesive data ecosystem can be built. Let's look at the benefits of data management broadly-
Increases efficiency- Managing data effectively helps people spend less time looking for the information they need. 83% of people consider data management an integral part of their business strategy and 69% believe that it saves time, cost, and energy for managers and improves their decision-making abilities. With the help of the best data architecture, cloud data integration, and quick data analytics, managers can confidently make important business decisions in a short time.
Build capacities- Effective data assets, enhance the capacity of the users to attain scalability and speed.
Various open-source big data tools are geared up by companies to store and process massive data to make correct predictions. Plus, data science and real-time machine learning can generate business intelligence and ensure favorable business conditions.
Ensure seamless operations- Naturally, mishandling data of data will not deviate businesses from achieving the desired outcomes but will also slow down the entire business model. Even so, it may lead to failure of operations and business closure. In contrast, data strategy can ensure seamless work and help businesses respond in time.
Reduces Risk concerning security- Data theft comes as a genuine concern in the digitalized world. When you store a volume of information like credit card details, personal contact numbers, chat details, passwords, photos, etc., you need to be sure about their safety first. Imagine the loss a business can have for data stolen into the wrong hands. Make sure that data safety is intact.
Do you know?: A study by IDC in September 2021 has predicted that global data sphere will grow with a compound rate of 23% leaping to nearly 181 zettabytes in 2025. Here a single zettabyte means 1021 bytes.
Types of data management
Companies have been experimenting with multiple types of data and analyzing them using different permutations to drive knowledge, resolve any issue or enhance the given situation. To begin with, they need to know where the data comes from, who has access to it, and how can it be applied to generate effective values. Read different types of data management tactics below, and see what they have to offer you and your business-
- Data preparedness - when raw data is cleaned and transformed into the right form to use for generating various analyses and driving decisions.
- Data pipelines - when from one system to another data is transformed this data strategy is put in place.
- Data extract, transform and load- It occurs when data from one system is taken, transformed, and then loaded into the organization's data warehouse.
- Data catalogs - This tool creates a comprehensive picture of data for viewing. Also, it summarizes data info, changes done, and other meaningful details.
- Data warehouse - It is a kind of storehouse for storing all data types wherein data storage and consolidation occurs.
- Data governance - These are the set of rules, guidelines, and policies in place to ensure data safety, integrity and authenticity.
- Data architecture - It defines the route map for data flow.
- Data security - It is a data management tool to save the data from corruption and unauthorized access.
- Data Modelling - This tool is used to track and document the data flow. Overall, a best data management software can open a lot of opportunities to enhance users' experience, generate solutions, increase work efficiency, boost businesses and even so create capacities.
Data management is the key to success in any company. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy
Data management is a complex process and ZipChecklist makes it simple
Advantages of data management services
Data management is all about keeping track of your organization's data, and ensuring that it can be found when you need it. The right data management system will help you save time and reduce errors, while also meeting the needs of your organization's dynamic and changing work environment.
Here are the benefits-
It adds to revenue-
Adopting the best data management practice can facilitate quick decision-making. With growing volume and complexities, manual handling of data can take a lot of time, and energy and can tax the profits of the company. On the contrary, by using effective, companies reduce resource usage and add to their revenue.
It avoids data duplication-
Redundancy of data or reference data is another challenge that companies encounter during decentralized data management practices. Naturally, data duplication leads to great confusion and problems in the master data management sheet. An efficient management tool can filter the duplicated data and increases its authenticity.
It ensures compliance-
Companies need to make sure that the tools must comply with growing regulations and policies around them. Ignoring that can attract penalties and loss of reputation along with some far-reaching implications. A well-defined and systematic data management brings compliance and can decrease the chances of security breaches.
It reduces operational complexities-
Not just that the data management services reduce enterprise costs but will also simplify operationality. Data management offers a holistic vision and better control of entrepreneurs on data. It leads to better strategies and impacts the long-term growth strategies of businesses.
It generates valuable insights-
Correct data analysis can lead to augmented business decisions. Incomplete and mishandled data would lead to the creation of wrong information and would hence misguide the administrators. Effective data management can streamline learning and its application.
It requires less physical space-
Data management can ease the requirement of physical space for keeping master data and backup. Open-source data management tools can store data in a narrow space, maintain consistency and remove discrepancies. Moreover, restricted access to data prevents the misuse of data security too.
It allows forecasting-
Entrepreneurs and managers understand how bliss organized data can be! Using reference data and backup, data management allows forecasting and empowers companies to stay ahead.
Data management best practices
Data management is the process of ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of data throughout its life cycle. This involves planning for data collection, data quality, data storage, and data analysis. When executed efficiently, data management enables organizations to achieve their business goals with confidence. However, in many organizations, data management is a neglected area. Below are the best practices for data management. Have a look-
- Create a strong and standardized data infrastructure including file names and a robust reporting system. It can allow users to search and find data with its long-term access.
- Apply metatags containing details about data content, its structure, and allow it to get discovered.
- Create and maintain Data storage with all backups and prevention methods. Storage can be external or internal depending on the cruciality and the need for data on time.
- Documentation is also one of the best data management practices. Herein multiple levels of documentation can provide the full context of details of where the data is and how can this be utilized.
- Moreover, companies shall commit to creating a data culture at the department level and shall allow data experimentation, collaboration, and analysis.
- Companies can also opt to buy any good open-source data management software to make data more manageable, and extractable. Meanwhile, ensure that you have robust privacy standards in place.
Zipchecklist is an intuitive task management tool meant to optimize operations, monitor tasks in real-time and maintains organizational operational standards. Zipchecklist Features a consistent data management strategy like customer data management that makes the data assets safe and therefore, builds confidence.
Data management risks and challenges
Data risk is concerned with its exposure to any loss, theft, or delicacy that leads to spoiling trust, image, and utility of it. As per a report by IBM Big Data Hubspot, the US economy lost $3.1 Trillion each year to poor data quality. Regardless of industry size or type, companies tend to face challenges that are magnified at the upper level. Often, managers need to make strong decisions to maintain data integrity, confidentiality, and availability. It ranges from identifying and evaluating the cause/(s) of ineffective data management, deciding on data ownership, preserving its value, and stressing formal ethics policies and governance.
Below are the areas where data management risk and challenges are more likely to surface-
- Data supportive culture in an organization includes - leadership, adaptability, operating model.data management software tools, skills, and ability to maintain data standards and objectives.
- Organizations' ability to acquire, discover and maintain enterprise data sources' authenticity and reliability.
- Formulating, and implementing organizational policies to maintain data consistency, compliance, and ethical conduct.
- The analytical tools, data classifications, integration, control, conventions, etc. opted by companies to generate information out of data to support decision making and predictions.
- Adequate data management strategy in place.
Data management is essential for running a successful business
ZipChecklist can help you make sense of data management through our articles
Tasks and roles involved in data management
Data management is the process of ensuring that the data remain up-to-date, accurate, relevant, and secure, and shall be easily accessed by all the appropriate staff in the organization. Whether you are an e-commerce site, a software company, an accounting firm, or a hospital, the need to manage data is an essential aspect of running your organization. There are certain roles, particularly pertinent to data management services. Below are some-
Data Administer- He operates, evolves, and supports data sources and collaborates with delivery teams.
Data Analysts- He is responsible for exploring the data to understand, interpret and convert it into information that can be used to generate insights and decisions.
Data Managers- It is the functional head that can lead the team and guide the data-oriented activities. Also, he collaborates with other organizations to ensure that data sanctity is maintained and enhanced to make future developments.
Customer Data Managers- 98% of fortune 500 companies improve their customer experience using customer data management. They are project analyzers, metadata generators, database engineers, data collectors, and supporting back-end staff who also deal with data in one or other form.
History of data management
Data is as old as the human race. Historically, ancient people used to store facts and information using manifested tools like scribed or incised stones, animal bones, painted cave walls, leaflets, rock edicts, etc. Eventually, metals, cloth, and paper were invented and used for information circulation and storage. Afterward, the need for information storage grew and the discovery of new tools to share, store, recover and utilize information began. It was during the 50s when managing data was found to be difficult using old and slow computers and the need for faster processing devices to handle, organize and process information was felt. In the 1990s, databases were created and large data warehouses were built that were capable of storing massive information using the internet. Towards the end of the 20th century, companies started using cloud-based data storage services and eventually established a comfort zone before they began to shift the bulk of their storage to the cloud. In today's world, we are equipped with powerful AI-enabled data management tools to quickly scan, review, store and retrieve data. The latest data management software allows us to create a filing system, hierarchically organize data and can form a network among other databases. This has increased the flexibility, compliance, and processing of big data and reduced the in-house cost, time, and energy to manage it. However, data integration, data governance, and compatibility of the cloud's access to big data is still a concern that can be probably answered best using AI.
ZipchecklistZipchecklist Featuresdata management softwaredata management strategy
Do you know?: One gram of human DNA is capable of storing 215 Penta bytes and this can also last for over hundreds of thousands of years if kept in a cool and dry place.
Data management can be a huge challenge for many companies
We help you manage your data so that you can focus on what really matters – your company’s growth